Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Memorial Day

Why do some people say "Happy Memorial Day?" This was something that intrigued me. I'm not American therefore I did not have a clear understanding of what this day meant...but the man I love is a Marine so I have decided I needed to understand what this date means.  

Memorial Day was formerly know as Decoration Day, it has a big importance to the American people since this is the day for remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. It was originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died in all wars.

So, is that happy? is that a day we/they should celebrate?  Confusion is playing a role here.  Some may think that it is a day for honoring everyone on active duty or all living veterans.  I read in About.com that Memorial day was a "great time to honor our veterans and famous Americans".  This is not veterans day.  This is the day to remember the sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives and friends who put on their uniform and went to war and didn’t return alive. 

The first Decoration Day was 30 May 1868, three years after the end of the American Civil War.  Gen. John A. Logan, U.S. Army, commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, initiated the day of remembrance.  He ordered that all Army posts decorate the graves of fallen Civil War comrades with flowers and a "suitable ceremony," and that flags be flown at half mast until noon. Since the late 1950s on the Thursday before Memorial Day, the U.S. Army has placed small American flags at each of the quarter-million-plus graves in Arlington National Cemetery.  The Army also stands guard in the cemetery through Memorial Day to ensure that the flags remain in place.  

At present, Americans are encouraged to visit military memorials and to fly flags at half mast until noon.  They also are asked to fly the relatively new "POW/MIA" flag, per the 1998 Defense Authorization Act.  Further, all Americans are asked to participate in a "Moment of Remembrance" at 3:00 pm and pledge to aid the families of the honored dead.
     
For those in the military community, they remember their friends and family members. I'm in the military community but there is no one for me to remember.  What would be my responsibility as my Marines girlfriend?  I came to the conclusion that the best way would be for me to live the day and honor the men and women who gave it all for their believes, those that my beloved boyfriend shares; his brothers and sisters in arms, those who gave it all for peace. 

This day was designated as a day of reflection but it has also become associated with sales, a day off and as the first day of summer.  

How wrong is it? To celebrate in a day like this?  A family gathered at a BBQ, sharing a meal, stories, kids playing. I can't think of a better way to honor the fallen, not celebrating the day but what resulted of their sacrifice, freedom and peace.

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle" 
George William Curtis




2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Great job! My boyfirend always tells me dont thank me thank those of my comrades taht fought and didnt make it. They dont get to enjoy what they fought for. So starting this year we will be having tributes to them. I really dont think people know what Memorial, Veteran day Armed forces day etc. really mean..they are just glad to have the day off. Appreciate the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boyfriend is right...Since I'm not American I want to be sure I'm not disrespecting anyone and to be honest I've always heard the "Happy Memorial Day" thing. I learn something new every day :)

    ReplyDelete