Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Obama's Coffee Cup Salute to the Marines

John F. Kennedy Jr.'s salute 
I love this picture, I have always liked it...

My bf texted me today and told me the Marines were on the news. "Well, what could it be?" I thought...and then I saw that. I’m not American, I couldn’t care less on what Obama does, I myself have been embarrassed by my president several times…but, once again, it’s the United States.

My bf is a Marine, an entity full of rules, for them and for us that follow them. Don’t do this, don’t do that…then, you would expect the Commander in Chief to act accordantly, right?

I’m a huge fan of protocol, I love it and I follow it. I didn’t like the action; it was not just having the coffee in his hand but not even looking at them. Is he the first one to violate the protocol?  No, but come on, Obama is the center of my PHD thesis, and he comes and do this.

For me, the outraged is the informality. Can Obama not take the time to return a simple salute, properly, only days after ordering US forces into action against the Islamic State in Syria? Respect is a big word, treat others the way you would like to be treated. Respect your parents, your elders...respect your fellow. As the Republican strategist Rory Cooper tweeded: “A proper military salute isn’t trivial. It’s also not a scandal. But Command-in-Chief needs to get it right out of respect & for optics.”

Obama's Coffe Cup Salute 
The gesture is apparently only weird to me, since the video was uploaded by the White House itself. I don’t know what the Communications Team was thinking. Now, I may reconsider my position regarding Sarah Palin.


So I feel hurt, now we went from Semper Fi to Semper Latte…so yes, that little kid’s pic has a new meaning to me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment