Saturday, January 18, 2014

Volunteering: Soldiers Angels


There is a great pleasure about volunteering but with me one thing is for sure: I prefer to do it at my own rithem.  I'm not a fan of having to be at one place at a certain time; I'm a free spirit so I've always been more attracted to volunteering from home.  

I learned about Soldiers Angels during a very sad (love related) trip, at a Fisher House in Cincinnati.  I remember I saw a book called "May No Soldier Go Unloved" by Jeff Bader.  I look through the book and read something about an organization where people could volunteer at, it was Soldier's Angels.  I made a menthal note to look that up once I get home...

...and I did. Now let me tell you about this site/organization, which I love. 

Soldier's Angels is a volunteer-led public charity that provides aid and comfort to the men and women of the United States Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and their families. It is an international organization with members in  U.S. states and several friendly countries who support America's men and women in uniform.  We are hundreds of thousands of volunteers in over 20 different teams and programs operating internationally to provide letters, care packages, and comfort items to the deployed, and support for their families at home. We also provide assistance to the wounded, continuing support for veterans, remembrances and comfort for families of the fallen, and immediate response to unique difficulties that military individuals and families can encounter. 

They don't discriminate, you don't have to be an American or live there to support them.  I'm not American and live in Europe!  They welcome everybody and they don't expect you to support with money, everything you can give is well received.  To be a member, I did a small donation of 1 dollar!

Soldiers' Angels began with a mother of two American soldiers, Patti Patton-Bader. Her eldest son, Staff Sergeant Brandon, deployed to Iraq from 2003-2004 and her youngest was deployed to Iraq from 2007-2008. In the summer of his deployment, Brandon expressed concern that some soldiers in his unit did not receive any mail or support from home. Patti quickly contacted a handful of friends and extended family and asked if they would support a soldier or two. Within just a few months Soldiers' Angels went from a mother sending a few extra care packages and letters to an Internet community with thousands of Angels worldwide. 

These are some of the things you can do:

  • Adopt a Soldier:  they assign you an adopted soldier, and after you receive an email with information about him or her you can then begin sending your letters and care packages.
  • Join the Craft Team: Operation Top Knot is a network of service clubs and individuals who sew, knit and shop to create gift baskets for infants and expectant mothers in military families. They also assemble and deliver gift baskets full of goodies such as bottles, diapers, onesies, pacifiers, washcloths, grooming kits, and more.  They also make sure to remember Dad by sending "It's a Boy!" or "It's a Girl!" bubblegum cigars to wherever he is stationed.
  • 


Family Support: Operation Outreach supports the homefront. Deployment isn't just hard on a hero, it's extraordinarily difficult for their family as well. Military families worry, struggle, and sacrifice, and Operation Outreach says “Thank You” to these unsung home-front heroes. 
  The request is for cards and letters of support for family members but also provides gifts to help make a birthday or holiday special, coordinates with Angels in local areas to provide ongoing support, links military families with e-pals or pen pals who know what they're going through, and provides limited financial assistance. 

  •  


Sewing Teams: The Sewing Team supports the troops through sewing skills. 
  • Wounded Team: lend support during the difficult time when a hero is ill or wounded. Team members send cards and letters of support to service members who are sometimes suffering catastrophic injuries and need to know they are not forgotten. 
  • 


Writing Teams:
 The Cards Plus Team is dedicated to supporting service members, their families and even other Angels through encouraging cards and notes at special times. The Letter Writing Team is a group of Soldiers' Angels who enjoy writing to service members and who know how important it is for a deployed service member to hear his or her name called at mail call. This is the team I'm at!

I'm doing my PHD and money is scare so my contributions are not money based.  They don't care! What ever you can do is valuable for them.   I'm currently at the Letter Writing Team and the Wounded Team.  They also have a forum where the Angels talk about different things and some times give some more names of military personnel in need of a letter or other Angels needing a postcard from your state or country for their soldier's scrap book :) You'll be hooked!

There are more different things you can do through them.  Please, go check their site and read a bit more, I assure you will fall in love with their cause as I did.  

Proud to be an Angel, from wing tip  to wing tip,

Honey


May No Soldier Go Unloved
May No Soldier Walk Alone
May No Soldier Be Forgotten
'Til they All Come Home.




References: 
https://soldiersangels.org/





4 comments:

  1. I came across your blog and I want to say it is so romantic! How do you do it? It is an amazing story and you seem so happy. I am dating a Marine too, he is at boot camp and I am waiting for him. It is so hard. Your words help me. Thanks! I will share your story with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! It is NOT easy at all but with time the relationship just gets stronger. The key is to enjoy each step of the way and make it unique. You are some way lucky because you are with him from the beginning so I guest both of you are learning about the Marine's family at the same time :) use that in your favor. Let me know how he is doing and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honeybee, I will try to follow your advice. I miss him so much. I get a letter from him every week or so. He tells me how hard it is and all the things they make him do to become a Marine. He says he can't wait to see me again. Me and his mom are planning to go see him graduate boot camp. I am so excited to go! How many times have you seen him? Just that one time? Thanks for writing me back. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa! You are going to the graduation?! That is so so nice. My Marine is getting promoted this year but I don't think I will be able to go :( We have seen each other 3 times already...weird, it looks like we have done it more haha; we do video chat EVERY DAY, even if we only say good night. When is the graduation?

    You are lucky he is writing, most of them don't. The day of the graduation they are going to make them work harder (you should probably don't tell him) so by the end of the day, when they get to graduate the experience is amazing; my bf said that that was the biggest day for him, when he felt he accomplished his goal.

    ReplyDelete